Thursday, 13 January 2011

Your call is important to us

I've written two profile pieces for The Skinny in the last two days, which should appear on their site fairly soon. One of them was an email interview - I wrote some questions, he sent me back some replies. It sounds easy and I have to admit that copying and pasting does save a lot of typing. But what you end up with is this kind of weird join-the-dots puzzle, where you take all of the interesting and amusing quotes and weave them into a single narrative. Of course, I had a rough idea what shape the thing would be and I had structured my questions accordingly, but there was still a bit of patching up to do.

The other one was a terrific phone interview which went on far longer than it was meant too. Without a doubt this is a more enjoyable experience than emailing, but afterwards you have to do a lot of filtering and the more verbose the interviewee, the greater the chance that you'll have to chuck your original plan for the article in the bin.

Oh, and it helps if you record the call properly as well. Otherwise you have to rely on near-illegible handwritten notes. Doh.

I haven't done any face-to-face interviews for The Skinny yet but I'm dying to have a crack at it. It's been a loooong time since I've done one of those. Glasgow Comedy Festival is coming up in March, so I might get a chance then.

No comments:

Post a Comment